Friday 20 July 2012

Reading! another passion

I love reading, although normally painfully slow, I have astounded even myself with my latest books.  

Tideline - Penny Hancock this book had me hooked from the start! I downloaded it last Sunday evening, and have been out of the house unable to read it for three days, but finished it last night! I am, as I said previously, an extremely slow reader, but I just could not put this down. I loved it, the only down side to it I'd say was the ending was slightly weak, but well worth reading to the end.  Disturbing on so many levels, but intriguing at the same time, shocking in parts. Here's the blurb about it:

One winter's afternoon, Sonia opens the door of her beautiful riverside home to fifteen-year-old Jez, the nephew of a family friend. He's come to borrow some music. Sonia invites him in and soon decides that she isn't going to let him leave. As Sonia's desire to keep Jez hidden and protected from the outside world becomes all the more overpowering, she is haunted by memories of an intense teenage relationship, which gradually reveal a terrifying truth. The River House, Sonia's home since childhood, holds secrets within its walls. And outside, on the shores of the Thames, new ones are coming in on the tide...

SO! now what? Well I went through all the books I already have downloaded on my Kindle, and just couldn't find something I wanted to read, so decided to go back to my 'I'd like to read' list and picked The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

So, I'm now 14% through this having downloaded it last night, and been out all day, so another one I appear to be instantly hooked to. Completely different to Tideline, set in the 1800's - here's the blurb on this:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.
The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:
Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn
As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, all over the tents small lights begin to flicker, as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies. When the tents are all aglow, sparkling against the night sky, the sign appears.
Le Cirque des Rêves
The Circus of Dreams.
Now the circus is open.
Now you may enter.

http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/home great place to go to when fancying something new to sink your teeth into. i have NO idea why blogger keeps highlighting paragraphs, it is not playing the game and I have been unable to post all of my text because of it!

2 comments:

  1. WHY BLOGGER KEEPS DOING THIS AS ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!! I've lost part of my text and another link to another book because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've ordered Tideline from the library, but they're really slow for reservatios lately.

    ReplyDelete